The BEST Program in partnership with Binghamton University's Watson School of Engineering again offered the opportunity to register and complete the Lean Six Sigma Green Belt Training at no cost to BEST trainees. Congratulations to BESTies Fiona Harnischfeger, Mariely Medina-Rivera (Food Science), and Tiffany Tang, (Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering) on passing the exam for certification at the green belt level. It will next be offered December 18-January 21. Contact us if you are interested.
Lean Six Sigma certification at the Green Belt level gives you valuable business tools to achieve process and operational excellence. The course content emphasizes why the implementation of Lean Six Sigma is vital to the continuous improvement of industry in today's competitive world. Several case studies and applications of Lean Six Sigma concepts are presented throughout the course along with how it is used not only in the manufacturing context but other areas as well. The teaching is to conceptually and practically analyze, break down and fix a problem to arrive at a more efficient solution for continuous process improvement. Specifically the course covered:
- Continuous process improvement (CPI) with emphasis on both lean and six sigma concepts and methodologies;
- Lean concepts and its applications, such as 5s, waste reduction, value stream mapping, and error proofing;
- DMAIC (Define, Measure, Analyze, Improve, and Control) to solve issues and transition CPI projects from one phase to another
- Basic statistical analysis methods, tools, and control charts used to determine key relationships between inputs and outputs;
- The integration of both lean and six sigma for achieving data-driven process improvement results
- Team dynamics and leadership to provide effectively successful projects.
The participants shared what they got out of the training, to help you decide whether this is for you:
I'm an Industrial Microbiologist by training who generally seeks to diversify my skills in related disciplines. I had high expectations of this course because of its practicality and usefulness in a pharmaceutical industry setting, and potential application in a research laboratory. I have friends with Six Sigma training from other organizations whose fast and practical thinking I admire. [but ] I will only recommend this course to a person who needs the Lean Six sigma certification to find a job in the health industry, with a solid statistical background and wiliness to teach themselves the Lean and Six sigma principles.-Mariely Medina-Rivera
The lean six sigma greenbelt class from Binghamton University gave me the opportunity to learn about Lean Six sigma processes at my own pace. The online lectures were excellent and regardless of your background you could learn and excel in this program.-Fiona Harnischfeger
It was a very informative class that taught me strategies to improve consistency and speed of a process. I look forward to implementing some of these techniques throughout my PhD career.-Tiffany Tang
See feedback from BESTies who earned this certification in March 2017 here.